Welcome to our ultimate guide to buying the best hunting knife for 2023! Whether you're a veteran hunter or a first-time buyer, it can be hard to decide which knife is right for you. With so many options on the market, it can be overwhelming. But have no fear - we’ve got you covered! Our expert team has spent countless hours researching, testing and comparing the best hunting knives on the market. We’ll help you find the perfect knife for your needs, budget, and skill level. From fixed blades to folding knives and tactical knives, we’ve got you covered! So let’s get started – it’s time to find your perfect hunting partner!
- Top 7 Hunting Knifes in the market for 2023 with reviews
- Hunting Knife Buying Guide - Everything You Need to Know
- Factors to Consider When Choosing a Hunting Knife
- Exploring the Price Ranges and Factors to Consider When Buying a Hunting Knife
- Factors to Consider When Choosing the Right Hunting Knife
- Types of Hunting Knives: Which One is Perfect for Your Needs?
- Top Places to Buy High-Quality Hunting Knives and How to Avoid Scams
- Conclusion on Choosing the Right Hunting Knife
- Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
Top 7 Hunting Knifes in the market for 2023 with reviews
Whether you're a seasoned hunter or just getting started, having the right hunting knife is essential. From skinning and dressing game to cutting rope or repairing gear, there's no substitute for a quality hunting knife. That's why it's important to choose the right one for your needs. In this buying guide, we'll review the best hunting knives of 2023 and provide an in-depth look at their features, specs, and performance. From fixed blades to folding knives, there's something here for everyone. So if you're in the market for a new hunting knife, let's get into it!
1. GERBER StrongArm Fixed Blade Knife
The Gerber StrongArm Fixed Blade Knife is the perfect choice for any combat or survival application. This knife features a full tang 420HC steel blade with a fine edge and black ceramic coating for long-lasting durability and low visual profile. The handle is crafted from a diamond-texture rubberized material that provides a secure grip in all conditions. Additionally, the striking pommel at the base of the handle can be used to break through hard surfaces in emergency situations.
The modular sheath system allows for multiple mounting options, giving you versatility in how you carry your knife. You can mount it vertically on MOLLE, horizontally on a standard 1.75" tactical belt, or in a traditional drop-leg belt mount fashion. This makes it easy to carry your knife wherever you go without having to worry about it getting in the way or being too cumbersome.
Gerber has been making survival knives for the US Military since 1968 and their legacy lives on with the StrongArm Fixed Blade Knife. This reliable knife is proudly made in USA at Gerber's Portland, Oregon factory, so you know you're getting quality craftsmanship when you purchase this product. Whether you're looking for an everyday carry knife or something more specialized, the Gerber StrongArm Fixed Blade Knife is sure to meet your needs!
- Very sharp and durable
- Lightweight and strong
- Versatile sheath with various mounting options
- Good grip and comfortable handle
- US-made quality at an affordable price
- Full tang construction
- Excellent for everyday tasks
- Skull crusher handle spike for added protection
- Multiple carry options for the sheath
- Sheath can be difficult to unsnap and remove with one hand
- Knife may require additional sharpening upon arrival
2. Morakniv Craftline 546
The Morakniv Craftline 546 is an ideal utility knife for any outdoor enthusiast. This 3.6-inch fixed-blade knife is made from high-quality Sandvik stainless steel, providing superior strength and durability. The handle is made of impact-resistant plastic, with a larger shape that fits comfortably in the hand. It also comes with a hard plastic Combi-Sheath, which allows for the connection of a second knife and sheath. The blade thickness is 0.08 inches (0.2 cm), blade length is 3.6 inches (9.1 cm), total length is 8.25 inches (20.9 cm) and net weight is 4.1 ounces (117 g).
This utility knife has been designed to stand up to the toughest of tasks, making it perfect for camping, hunting, fishing or any other outdoor activities you may be doing. It's sharpness and durability make it an excellent choice for cutting through rope, wood or other materials with ease. Additionally, its lightweight design makes it easy to carry around without weighing you down too much when travelling outdoors or during long hikes or treks in the wilderness.
The Morakniv Craftline 546 comes with a manufacturer's limited lifetime warranty so you can be sure that your purchase will last for years to come no matter how much you use it outdoors or indoors. So if you're looking for an all-purpose utility knife that can handle whatever task you throw at it while staying sharp and reliable over time, then look no further than the Morakniv Craftline 546!
- Affordable price for a quality product
- Razor-sharp blade right out of the box
- Constructed with stainless steel or high carbon steel
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Comfortable ergonomic plastic handle
- Durable and robust handle and sheath
- Safely stows knife away when not in use
- Ideal for general everyday use and camping
- Great for cutting meat, woodworking, and food preparation
- Blade is not suitable for heavy duty tasks such as splitting tree limbs
- Finger guard can be too small for some hands
- Sheath is not very flexible and may break if dropped from a height
- Not as heavy duty as a Garberg or sparking a ferro without filing the top
3. Kershaw Emerson CQC-11K
The Kershaw Emerson CQC-11K D2 is a high-performance folding knife that combines the tactical features of an Emerson design with the strength and durability of D2 steel. Featuring a big 3.5-inch blade, the CQC-11K D2 offers plenty of belly for skinning and other game processing as well as superior slicing for a wide variety of in-camp tasks. The handle is contoured to fit the hand precisely and is equipped with a G10 front scale and stainless steel back for secure and comfortable grip. Additionally, the Emerson Wave Shaped Feature allows for quick and easy opening when withdrawing from your pocket.
The CQC-11K D2's blade is made from high-carbon, high-chromium tool steel that provides excellent edge retention and hardness while being more corrosion resistant than other high-carbon steels. This makes it ideal for any outdoor activity such as hunting, survival, camping, or bush crafting. Furthermore, its robust frame lock secures the blade safely open during use so you can have peace of mind while using it in various situations.
Overall, the Kershaw Emerson CQC-11K D2 is an ideal choice for anyone looking for a reliable folding knife that offers superior performance in multiple tactical uses including piercing hard material. With its great edge retention and corrosion resistance, you can be sure that this knife will last you many years to come.
- Great reviews on YouTube
- Razor sharp blade that holds an edge well
- Durable steel (D2) for hard work use
- Comfortable handle shape with a good grip
- Affordable price
- Wave feature allows for easy one-handed opening
- Edge retention and corrosion resistance
- Not much meat to the body as a whole
- Blade opening is stiff and thumb assist location can cause injury if not careful
- Weight may be an issue for backcountry use
- Wave feature takes time and practice to master
4. Benchmade Altitude Knife
The Benchmade Altitude 15200 Knife is an ideal choice for any hunter looking for a reliable, high-quality blade. This fixed blade knife features a full tang design and is crafted from CPM-S90V stainless steel, providing superior strength, edge retention, and toughness. The handle is made from carbon fiber and G10 for extreme durability and stability with minimal weight.
The Altitude 15200's drop-point blade is well balanced and versatile, making it perfect for any hunting situation. The blade has a coated finish that helps protect against corrosion and wear while providing a sleek look. The Fusion Kydex sheath ensures the knife stays safe and secure when not in use while still remaining easily accessible.
Whether you're an experienced hunter or just starting out, the Benchmade Altitude 15200 Knife offers superior performance in any situation. With its high-quality construction, reliable design, and lightweight handle, this knife will be your go-to choice when you need to get the job done right.
- - Incredibly sharp out of the box.
- - Lightweight and durable construction.
- - Easily takes and holds an edge.
- - Perfect size and fit for hunting and stealth applications.
- - Great for skinning game.
- - Comes in a variety of styles and finishes to suit various needs.
- - Worth the higher price tag due to the quality of materials and construction.
- - Not suitable for larger game processing jobs such as bear or elk.
- - Expensive compared to other knives on the market.
- - No handle or grip for larger hands.
5. Opinel No.08 Folding Knife
The Opinel No.08 Folding Knife is an essential tool for any outdoorsman or handyman. This classic design has been unchanged since 1890 and stands the test of time as a reliable and durable knife. The stainless Virobloc safety ring is designed with two sections, one fixed and one sliding, to ensure secure locking when in use. The blade is made from carbon steel that is incredibly hard, guaranteeing excellent cutting quality every time. The handle is crafted from hard Beechwood sourced from France for maximum durability. All Opinel products are guaranteed under normal use and can be exchanged in case of any manufacturing defects. Whether you're looking for a dependable everyday carry knife or a reliable camping companion, the Opinel No.08 Folding Knife is sure to meet your needs.
- Very sharp
- Non-intimidating in appearance and opening
- Good size handle that fits well in the hand and blade length that is suitable for most tasks
- Takes an edge easily and holds it fairly well, easy to resharpen
- Locking ring to keep fingers away from the edge
- Looks great and fun to pull out
- Basic carbon steel that needs additional care to prevent rusting
- Thicker than other, more modern designs of a similar blade length
- Handle can swell in humid areas, causing it to be difficult to open
- Blade material not one of the "super alloys" so won't hold an edge as well or as long
- Quality control lacking; blade edge was rough and rolled over
6. Work Sharp Mk.2
The Work Sharp Mk.2 Knife & Tool Sharpener is the perfect tool for sharpening all of your knives and tools with ease. This upgraded version of the original Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener features new technology that makes sharpening faster and more accurate than ever before.
The flexible belts on the Work Sharp Mk.2 conform to the edge of any blade, allowing you to easily sharpen outdoor, pocket, kitchen knives, serrated knives, and even scissors*. The included sharpening guide increases precision and repeatability, providing a scratch-resistant leather lining for an even sharper edge every time. You can quickly switch from 25° outdoor knives to 20° kitchen knives in one guide.
For heavier sharpening tasks such as lawnmower blades or axes, the two-speed motor provides all the power you need while still giving you more control when sharpening a knife. The edge guide supports your knife all the way to the tip and flips out of the way so you can sharpen every inch of your blade without obstruction.
With its easy-to-use design and powerful features, the Work Sharp Mk.2 Knife & Tool Sharpener is an essential tool for any home or shop that wants professional results in less time.
- Fast and easy to use, and learning curve is minimal.
- Can sharpen a variety of knives, including curved blades that are difficult to sharpen on other tools.
- Quick and dirty job of sharpening dull knives.
- Can sharpen knives to a razor-sharp edge in seconds with little effort.
- Quality packaging and durable enough for long-term use with extra belts available.
- Comes with directions and instructional videos for use.
- Can put a scalpel-sharpness edge on most knives, from pocket knives to kukris.
- Removes more metal than other sharpeners, which could be an issue with heavy, repeated use over time.
- No 17-degree setting for filet knives or Japanese knives.
- Puts a lot of heat in the blade when sharpening, which could be an issue with longer use.
- Not precise or controllable enough for high-value kitchen knives or those that require precision sharpening.
- Requires a step-down transformer if used in UK as it is designed for the USA (110v).
- Not impressed with product at all according to one user review.
7. Gerber Randy Newberg DTS Knife
The Gerber Randy Newberg DTS Knife is an essential tool for any hunter or outdoorsman. This folding knife has a serrated blade and tendon tool, making it perfect for cutting through tough-to-reach tendons deep in joints. The oversized 440C recurved primary blade ensures excellent meat processing, while the barrel construction and dual steel liner make the knife easy to clean and incredibly durable. For those who hunt or camp at night, the retroreflective material makes locating the knife easy in low-light conditions.
This versatile knife is ideal for skinning, gutting, and field dressing large game animals. The serrated blade can easily cut through even the toughest hide, while the tendon tool allows you to quickly access joints without damaging the meat. The oversized 440C recurved primary blade is designed to provide superior performance when cutting through thick layers of muscle and fat. The barrel construction and dual steel liner provide enhanced strength and durability that will last for years of use.
For those who enjoy hunting or camping at night, the retroreflective material on this knife makes it easy to locate in low-light conditions. Whether you’re out in the field or just need a reliable knife for everyday tasks, the Gerber Randy Newberg DTS Knife is an excellent choice for any outdoorsman.
- Grip and feel of the knife is fantastic
- Great elk package
- Heavy build and orange color is easy to spot
- Sturdy joint blade is serrated for easy sharpening
- Easy to open one handed
- Light and durable
- Good edge geometry on the blade, works for both left and right hand use
- Weight may be an issue for those backpacking/hunting in the mountains
- Fabric knife sheath may not be as durable as expected
Hunting Knife Buying Guide - Everything You Need to Know
The history of Hunting Knives dates back thousands of years. Prehistoric people used stones, animal bones, and sharpened sticks as weapons for hunting and as tools for various other purposes. As civilizations developed, so did the demand for functional weapons and tools, and the Hunting Knife was born.
Hunting Knives have evolved over time to meet the needs of users. In the past, hunting knives were made of bone or stone, and their size depended on the game being hunted and the user's preferences. As metalworking techniques improved, blades were made from metals like bronze, iron, and steel, which increased durability and improved cutting and slicing ability.
Today, Hunting Knives are designed to be lightweight, durable, and versatile. They often feature a fixed or folding blade and a variety of handle materials like wood, synthetic materials, and bone. Modern Hunting Knives have features like serrations, gut hooks, and saw edges to make them more effective in different hunting settings.
Using a Hunting Knife has many advantages and benefits. A high-quality Hunting Knife can improve the user's hunting experience by making cleaning and dressing game easier and more efficient. It can also be used for a variety of other outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, and fishing.
Additionally, the use of a Hunting Knife can also provide a sense of self-reliance and accomplishment. The satisfaction of being able to field dress and prepare game for consumption with one's own knife can be a rewarding experience. Using a Hunting Knife can also improve safety by allowing users to make clean, precise cuts, reducing the risk of injury.
In summary, Hunting Knives have come a long way from their prehistoric origins. They have evolved and adapted to the needs of their users, providing a reliable and versatile tool for hunting and outdoor activities, while increasing safety and enhancing the user's sense of self-reliance.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Hunting Knife
1. Blade Material:
The blade material is one of the most important factors to consider when selecting a hunting knife. High-quality blade steel should be durable, corrosion-resistant, retain its sharpness for a long time, and be able to hold an edge. A good quality blade material would ensure that the hunting knife is efficient at cutting, slicing, and reduces the need for frequent sharpening.
2. Blade Shape:
The blade shape is also a crucial factor to be considered when selecting a hunting knife. The ideal hunting knife blade should be thick and strong enough to withstand use in the field, and also be able to handle a variety of tasks such as skinning, caping, and quartering. A good hunting knife should feature a curved blade that allows the user to make precise and accurate cuts.
3. Blade Length:
The blade length should be determined by the intended use of the hunting knife. A hunting knife blade that is too long can be cumbersome and difficult to maneuver for smaller tasks, while a blade that is too short may not be effective for larger tasks such as skinning large game. A good hunting knife will offer a blade size that is appropriate and versatile for different tasks.
4. Handle Material:
Handle materials have an impact on the knife's overall weight and durability. Hunting knives must have a grip that is slip-resistant and comfortable to hold for extended periods of time. Materials such as G10, Micarta, polymer, or wood are commonly used as handle materials for hunting knives.
5. Blade Coating:
A blade coating helps to protect the blade from rust and corrosion, which can compromise the knife's structural integrity over time. Coatings are also used to reduce blade friction, decrease detection of reflection and improve the overall appearance of the knife.
6. Sheath Material:
A high-quality sheath helps to protect the blade during storage and transportation. Good hunting knife sheaths should be made of premium-quality materials and feature locking mechanisms specifically designed for hunting knives, to ensure that the knife remains safely in place while not in use.
Having a hunting knife with these key features ensures that the user always has a reliable and durable tool on hand for outdoor activities, big game hunting, camping or other activities that require the use of a reliable hunting knife. The benefits of investing in a high-quality hunting knife are a better and more enjoyable experience, improved efficiency and greater longevity of the knife.
Exploring the Price Ranges and Factors to Consider When Buying a Hunting Knife
When it comes to hunting knives, there are various price ranges available in the market. The price of a hunting knife can depend on various factors like the materials used, the quality of the craftsmanship, the brand, and the design.
The entry-level hunting knives usually cost between $20 to $50. These knives are typically made with lower-quality materials, like stainless steel or synthetic handles. They are perfect for occasional hunting or outdoor activities, but they may not withstand heavy-duty tasks or intensive use.
In the mid-range, hunting knives can be priced from $50 to $150. These knives are usually made with higher-quality materials, like high carbon steel or laminated steel, and may have more complex blade designs or ergonomic handles. They are suitable for more frequent hunting or outdoor use and are often seen as a good balance between affordability and quality.
Premium quality hunting knives can cost $150 and above. These knives often feature top-grade materials like Damascus steel, exotic handles, or intricate design details. They’re designed for professional hunters or collectors who demand the highest level of craftsmanship and performance.
When shopping for a hunting knife, keep in mind that price isn't the only factor to consider. A knife's quality, durability, and functionality should be taken into account, considering these crucial points may help you find the best deals while staying within your budget:
- Consider the purpose of the knife – A knife used for heavy-duty hunting should be more durable and robust than something used occasionally for small game or fishing. Choose a knife that suits your specific outdoor needs.
- Look for deals and discounts – Check online retailers, manufacturer websites, and even local sporting goods stores for promotional deals or seasonal discounts. You can save a considerable amount of money by taking advantage of these promotions.
- Do not compromise on quality – A Hunting knife is a long-term investment, and it's essential to choose one that is made to last. Do not be swayed by a low price if it means a sacrifice of quality.
By considering these factors, you'll find a hunting knife that is both practical and cost-effective.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Right Hunting Knife
When it comes to choosing the right hunting knife, there are several factors that you should consider. Some of these factors are as follows:
1) Size: The size of the hunting knife will depend on the intended use. For example, if you are planning to use the knife for skinning or field dressing, then a small or medium-sized knife will be more suitable. On the other hand, if you are planning to use the knife for chopping or heavy-duty tasks, then a larger knife will be more appropriate. It is important to choose a size that is comfortable to handle for prolonged periods.
2) Compatibility: The hunting knife should be compatible with the type of game you will be hunting. For instance, if you will be hunting small game like rabbits or squirrels, then a smaller knife would be more appropriate, whereas larger game like deer or elk may require a bigger blade. It is important to choose a knife that is versatile enough to handle different types of game.
3) Durability: The durability of the hunting knife is crucial, as it will be subjected to harsh conditions and heavy use. A knife made from high-quality materials like stainless steel or carbon steel will last longer and will be more resistant to corrosion and wear. Additionally, the handle should be sturdy and comfortable to hold, even in wet or slippery conditions.
4) Functionality: The hunting knife should be functional and versatile. For example, it should be able to perform a range of tasks, such as skinning, gutting, and filleting. The blade should be sharp and easy to sharpen, and the knife should be easy to clean and maintain.
In summary, when choosing a hunting knife, you should consider the size, compatibility, durability, and functionality of the knife. These factors will help you select a knife that is comfortable to handle, versatile, and durable enough to withstand the rigors of hunting.
Types of Hunting Knives: Which One is Perfect for Your Needs?
There are several types of hunting knives available on the market, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Here's a brief overview of some of the most common types:
1. Fixed Blade Hunting Knives - These knives are ideal for hunters who prioritize durability and strength. They are typically made from high-carbon steel or stainless steel, which makes them sturdy enough to tackle the toughest tasks. The blade is permanently attached to the handle, making it more stable and less prone to breakage than a folding knife.
2. Folding Hunting Knives - Folding knives offer hunters the convenience of portability and ease of use. They are typically smaller and easier to carry than fixed blade knives. One of the benefits of folding knives is that they can be safely tucked away when not in use, which eliminates the need for a bulky sheath.
3. Skinning Knives - Skinning knives are designed specifically for the task of skinning game animals. They have a narrow, pointed blade that makes it easier to separate the hide from the meat. They are typically made from high-carbon steel and are available in both fixed blade and folding versions.
4. Multi-Tool Hunting Knives - Multi-tool knives are ideal for hunters who need more than just a blade. They typically feature a variety of other tools, including screwdrivers, pliers, and can openers, which can come in handy out in the field. However, they are generally not as durable as single-purpose knives.
5. Machetes and Axes - While not strictly "hunting knives," machetes and axes are useful tools for hunters who need to clear paths or chop wood. They are both available in a range of sizes and designs, and can be a good alternative to a hunting knife in certain situations.
When choosing a hunting knife or alternative tool, it's important to consider your specific needs and preferences. A fixed blade knife may be best if you need a durable, sturdy tool for heavy-duty tasks, while a folding knife may be a better choice for those who prioritize portability and convenience. Skinning knives are essential for hunters who plan to process their own meat, while multi-tool knives can be a versatile option for those who need a range of tools at their disposal. Ultimately, the best hunting knife or tool for you will depend on a variety of factors, including your hunting style, budget, and personal preferences.
Top Places to Buy High-Quality Hunting Knives and How to Avoid Scams
There are many reputable online and offline stores that provide high-quality Hunting Knives. Here are a few suggestions:
1. Cabela's - Cabela's is a popular outdoor gear retailer that offers Hunting Knives from well-known brands like Gerber, Benchmade, and Buck. Their knives range in price from $20 to $500, catering to all kinds of budgets. They offer good customer service, quick shipping, and a hassle-free return policy.
2. Amazon - Amazon is one of the largest online retailers that offers an extensive range of Hunting Knives from various brands. They offer competitive pricing, quick delivery, and a broad range of customer reviews to help shoppers make informed decisions. However, it's essential to be cautious when buying knives from third-party sellers, as there is a possibility of fake products.
3. Bass Pro Shops - Bass Pro Shops is another outdoor gear retailer that offers Hunting Knives from reputed brands such as SOG, Kershaw, and Spyderco. Their knives range in price from $15 to $600, and they offer good customer service, quick shipping, and a hassle-free return policy.
Tips for avoiding scams and getting the best value for money:
1. Do research on the brand and model of the Hunting Knife before purchasing. Check online reviews, forums, and customer feedback to get an idea of the quality and performance.
2. Buy from a reputable retailer with a history of selling high-quality products and excellent customer service.
3. Beware of deals that seem too good to be true. If it looks suspicious, it probably is.
4. Check the return policy before making a purchase, and ensure that it's hassle-free and straightforward.
5. Be cautious when buying from third-party sellers on marketplaces like Amazon, as there's a possibility of receiving fake products. Look for sellers with a good reputation, a high number of positive reviews, and authenticity guarantees.
Conclusion on Choosing the Right Hunting Knife
After researching and compiling information on Hunting Knives, here are the main points to keep in mind when choosing the right one for you:
1. Blade Type: The blade should be made of high-quality steel, and the shape and size of the blade should be appropriate to the task at hand.
2. Size and Weight: Consider the size and weight of the knife based on the frequency and nature of the hunting expeditions.
3. Handle: The handle of the Hunting Knife should be comfortable to grip and provide a secure and stable hold.
4. Tang: A full tang knife ensures durability and strength.
5. Sheath: Look for a robust sheath to carry the hunting knife safely and with ease.
Based on these criteria, it is recommended to choose a Hunting Knife that is durable, well-balanced, and of high-quality.
It is important to remember that the best Hunting Knife for you is the one that fits your specific needs and preferences. While there are many high-quality Hunting Knives out there, you need to choose the one that suits your needs the best.
In conclusion, there is no single perfect Hunting Knife for every hunter. However, by following the buying guide's guidelines, you can find the perfect Hunting Knife for your specific needs. Take the time to research different options, and choose the one that feels right for you.
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
Q: What is Hunting Knife?
A: A hunting knife is a type of knife used by hunters for field dressing, skinning, and preparing game. These knives come in various shapes, sizes and materials, and are designed to perform specific functions while hunting.
Q: What are the different types of Hunting Knives?
A: There are several types of hunting knives, such as skinning knives, gut hook knives, boning knives, and caping knives. Each type of knife is designed to perform a specific task during the hunting process.
Q: What should I consider when choosing a Hunting Knife?
A: When choosing a hunting knife, it's important to consider factors such as the blade material, blade shape, blade length, handle material, and overall ergonomics. You should also consider the type of game you will be hunting and the specific tasks you will be performing with the knife.
Q: What is the best material for a Hunting Knife blade?
A: The best material for a hunting knife blade depends on personal preference and the intended use of the knife. Common blade materials include stainless steel, carbon steel, and high carbon stainless steel. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages in terms of durability, sharpness, and corrosion resistance.
Q: How do I maintain my Hunting Knife?
A: To maintain your hunting knife, you should regularly clean and dry the blade after each use. You should also oil the blade to prevent rust and store the knife in a dry and cool place. Sharpening the blade regularly will help maintain its sharpness and prolong the life of the knife.
Q: Can I use a Hunting Knife for other tasks besides hunting?
A: Yes, hunting knives can be used for various tasks, such as camping, fishing, and survival situations. However, it's important to use the knife for its intended purpose to prevent damage or injury.