In just a few short weeks I’ll be headed West, toward the Colorado backcountry. This “style” of this year’s will hunt will be much like I planned last year – we are going to backpack into the wilderness with a week’s worth of gear, and have no intentions of leaving the backcountry unless we are loaded down with elk meat. We will establish a “backcountry basecamp”, but will move to a different area of the wilderness if needed.
Gear selection is obviously critical for this type of hunt, and I get a ton of questions about what I bring for this type of trip. I have posted my list for this year below, but to learn more detail about the philosophy behind much of this gear, please refer to these previous posts…
- My Elk Hunting Gear List for Extended Backpack Hunts (Links to 2013 & 2014 lists)
- Video: My Gear List for a 7-Day Backpack Elk Hunt (A video overview/explanation of items, based on 2013 list)
- Gear List Debrief – Critiquing my Backpacking Gear List for Elk Hunting (What’s changed from 2013 to 2014, and why)
My 2014 Gear List
- Backpack: Moved from the Tenzing CF13 to the Exo Mountain Gear 3500. (I will have a video overview of the Exo Mountain Gear 3500 pack posted later this week!)
- Shelter: Moved from the MountainSmith Mountain Shelter LT to the Sierra Designs Lightning 2.
- Stove & Cookware: Moved from a Primus Micron and REI cookset to an all-inclusive Jetboil system.
- Rainwear: Completed the set by adding First Lite’s new Boundary Stormtight Pants.
- Knife: Moved to the Havalon Piranta system
- Decoy: Added the “Eichler Elk” (no decoy last year)
- Food: Dropped some unnecessary calories. More on that…