My gear list has been in the research, planning, and testing phases for many months, but now – with just a little over a month left before my elk hunt – it’s time to finalize every last detail. I still have a few minor details to work out, but it looks like I will be right around 40lbs. for my 6-7 day hunt.
UPDATE! Here is my new, 2014 Gear List.
Putting together a solid, yet lightweight gear list for this type of hunt is half science, half art. I’ve noticed that a lightweight pack is as much about what gear you don’t take, as it is about the specs of the gear that you do take. I’ve tried to eliminate redundancies, where possible, and to keep the amount of single-purpose or “just in case” items to a minimum. In the end, your gear list is yours – pack what you feel is necessary, or what makes you comfortable and confident.
Here is my itemized gear list spreadsheet, and here are some links that will provide more details about some of the gear mentioned above…
- Backpack Review – The Tenzing CF13 Carbon Fiber Hunting Pack
- Hunting Gear Review – Merino Wool & Outerwear Clothing from First Lite
- Food for Backpack Hunting – Tips, Ideas, and a Lightweight Menu
- How to Choose a Sleeping Bag for Backpacking and Hunting – Part I, Part II
- Satellite Communication for Backcountry Hunting – Why I’m Using the SPOT Connect
- Problems with Backpack-Style Hunting (And Why You Shouldn’t Do It. Maybe.)
- How To Build a “Kill Kit” – Necessary Items for Processing Game in the Field
As always, please let me know if you have any questions!